Source : IgMp Bureau
|Kalyani M4 in Bharat Forge production line, 12 vehicles ready for delivery to the Indian Army|
The Chairman of Bharat Forge has said in an interview with the Sunset TV that the company is working to develop a 155 millimeters Rocket Assisted Hypersonic Artillery round that can take out targets at 120 kilometers away.
Bharat Forge is carrying out in-house design of this artillery round that will feature a rocket motor to give hypersonic speeds to the projectiles and a greater range than a Non-Assisted Ballistic Round.
During the interview around 12 Kalyani M4 High Mobility Armored Personnel Carrier (APC) was seen to be ready for delivery to the Indian Army under a deal signed in 2021 for 27 Kalyani M4 worth 177 crore rupees
Kalyani M4, is the Indian iteration of the latest Mbombe-4 next-generation armoured combat vehicle from Paramount Group, a global aerospace and technology firm based in South Africa. At the International Defence Expo (IDEX 2021) in Feb 2021 in Abu Dhabi, Bharat Forge and Paramount Group of South Africa sealed a pact to manufacture this world-class multi-role vehicle in India for Indian Armed Forces. Kalyani M4 equipped with state-of-the-art technologies and capabilities needed for modern-day battle zones and ever-evolving threats, provides tremendous levels of safety, mobility, readiness and flexibility. Speaking to the media after signing of the joint venture in Abu Dhabi, Mr Amit Kalyani said,
“The Kalyani M4 is a fantastic new generation vehicle, and we want to position it as the ‘future of protection’ in all markets worldwide”
Amit Kalyani, Deputy Managing Director, Bharat Forge Ltd
This multi-role Indian variant by Bharat Forge will be capable of performing full spectrum of troop carrier missions in all kinds of rough Indian terrains including high altitude as well as those that are badly affected by mine and IED threats, as it is designed to deliver the best in-class safety against kinetic energy, mine, rockets (RPG) and IED attacks.
The state-of-the-art Kalyani wheeled off-road vehicle offers a perfect combination of best in class capabilities such as technology, protection, agility and payload providing an ideal support solution for Indian ground forces in all operational environments. Overall, it is faster, smarter and safer. The key capabilities of Kalyani M4 troop carrier includes:
|Image Courtesy: Defence Decode|
- The highly dynamic Kalyani M4 is the smallest member of the Mbombe family, and integrates a next-generation multi-mission design, independent suspension, reliable driveline in-service and advanced armour technology all developed by Paramount Group.
- 16T heavy Kalyani M4 truck is Powered by a 450-horsepower turbocharged six-cylinder diesel engine that transmits an excellent 32hp/ton power-to-weight ratio, which makes it the most powerful 4×4 vehicle in Indian Army inventory, powerful enough to bound through rough terrains and even capable of performing non-stop operations in extreme conditions from -20° to +50°.
- The new truck equipped with Paramount Group’s unique innovative flat-floor monocoque hull technology, offers crew best in-class protection levels, the entire M4 body can withstand a 50-kg TNT blast from sides, which has STANAG 4569-Level 4a & 4b blast protection. The M4 hull also provides protection from severe mine blast. While both crew and engine compartment have STANAG 4569-Level 3 ballistic protection.
- Packed with a massive powerpack, the Kalyani M4 can clock a burst speed of 140km/h and a range of 800km, M4 is capable of carrying nearly 2,700-kg weight including troops, supplies and ammunition stock.
- To enhance the operational effectiveness, the freshly ordered Kalyani M4 highly mobile troop carrier can be rapidly armed with offensive capabilities such as RWS turret, grenade launchers, anti-tank missiles and heavy machine guns.
- Moreover, the Made-in-India Mbombe 4×4, also, can be modified with Roof Hatch, modern tactical battlefield management system (BMS), Fire Suppression System, add-on armour and protection kits, Central Tyre Inflation System (CTIS), NATO standard Tow Hitch, CBRN protection kit, Vehicle Location and Tracking System, a Driver Assist Camera System, Public Address System and radios as well as intercom systems.
Earlier, Indian Army has evaluated multiple mobility platforms including Kalyani M4 and Maverick, WMF Werewolf, Tata Kestrel, and eventually placed an emergency order for the limited numbers of Kalyani M4 high mobility vehicles. According to multiple media accounts, the Kalyani vehicle has already been tested successfully by the Army in some of toughest Indian terrains. Also, Indian Army has a plan to acquire nearly 200 armoured fighting vehicles for scouting and combat supporting operations in the frontier with Pakistan.
The surge in the instances of cross-border infiltration, Naxalite activities and soaring incidences of asymmetric warfare along international borders with China and Pakistan, has led Indian military and paramilitary forces to acquire these troop carriers for safer and faster movement in operational areas. Presently, Indian Army alone requires over hundreds of these armoured vehicles in different terrains including LAC to mirror PLA strength.
|Kalyani M4 equipped with Anti Tank Guided Missile launchers, 30mm Anti Aircraft Machine Gun system|
Made-in-India ‘Kalyani M4’ vehicles from Bharat Forge can rapidly plug this gap as they are now being produced within the country, and limited numbers of these Indian-made MRMVs can be handy for Indian paramilitary as well as Special Forces units to deal with severe threats in the unconventional sphere of battle. Kalyani M4 is a fantastic modern-age combat solution which is capable of providing best in-class performance in all operating environments. The Indian vehicle manufacturer now seeks to offer its cutting edge armoured vehicles to the export market worldwide.
Speaking at the Aero India 2021 in Bengaluru, Defence minister Rajnath Singh said that aerospace sector will play an important role to reach the targets of domestic defence production of $25 billion and exports of $5 billion by 2025. Kalyani M4 is a modern multi role and high performance armoured troop carrier which can truly realise the Aatmanirbhar initiative and contribute towards India’s Defence Exports aspirations.
NOTE : Article cannot be reproduced or no information from this article should be used without written permission of theigmp.org in any form even for YouTube Videos to avoid Copy right strikes, if we find same informations or the entire article without our permission, we will take necessary action.