Home2 years after clash no end in sight to LAC standoff2 years after clash, no end in sight to LAC stand-off

2 years after clash, no end in sight to LAC stand-off

Source : Hindustan Times


2 years after clash, no end in sight to LAC stand-off
Representative Image




Two years after Indian and Chinese troops clashed in Ladakh’s remote Galwan Valley, the two nations are still in talks to reduce the tension along the Line of Actual Control (LAC), but an early resolution to the lingering 25-month standoff is nowhere in sight although both Beijing and New Delhi agree that the ongoing dialogue will help achieve disengagement from all friction points, officials familiar with the developments said on Monday.

The Indian Army and the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) have so far held 15 rounds of talks between corps commanders — 14 of these after the Galwan Valley skirmish — to resolve the standoff. These talks have led to partial success in disengaging rival soldiers from some friction areas on the LAC.

The June 15, 2020, Galwan clash was the first deadly skirmish along the LAC in five decades, and the trust deficit it created continues to haunt the ongoing dialogue, said one of the officials, asking not to be named. The clash left 20 Indian soldiers and an undisclosed number of Chinese troops dead.

“As long as talks are on, some forward movement in disengagement can be expected. It’s hard to give a timeline for comprehensive disengagement,” said a second official, also declining to be named.

India and China didn’t make much headway in another round of diplomatic talks on May 31 on the LAC standoff, agreeing only to continue discussions on outstanding issues and to convene the 16th meeting of military commanders at an early date.

The disengagement process between India and China has been deadlocked since the two countries pulled back frontline troops from the Gogra-Hot Springs sector in August 2021. The two nations have been locked in a border row since early May 2020, and despite disengagement of soldiers from Galwan Valley, Pangong Tso and Gogra-Hot Springs area, both still have around 60,000 troops each, and advanced weaponry deployed in the Ladakh theatre.

Problems at Patrol Point-15 near Kongka La, Depsang Bulge in Daulet Beg Oldi sector and Charding Nullah Junction (CNJ) in Demchok sector are still on the negotiating table.

“We are now coming up to the second anniversary of the deadly Galwan clash. If there is one important lesson from this incident, it is that when a large number of troops face off against each other and CBMs (confidence-building measures) break down, conflict becomes more likely, even if it is not intended,” said former Northern Army commander Lieutenant General DS Hooda (retd).

With the Chinese not moving ahead on the disengagement and de-escalation process, the risk of some local clash occurring remains, Hooda added.

Indian soldiers, led by Colonel B Santosh Babu, fought off numerically superior Chinese troops in the seven-hour conflict near Patrol Point 14 in Galwan Valley two years ago. Babu, then 37, was among the 20 Indian soldiers killed in action.

Babu, the commanding officer of 16 Bihar, and five other soldiers who displayed outstanding courage during the skirmish were awarded wartime gallantry awards. Over the past two years, India and China have hardened their stance on the LAC, with increased military activities on both sides of the boundary, deployment of modern weapons, infrastructure development, and a series of combat manoeuvres by their armies.

In May, army chief General Manoj Pande said the Indian Army aimed to “re-establish trust and tranquillity” with PLA, but cautioned that “it can’t be a one-way affair.”

RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Aatmanirbhar Bharat

All

IAF successfully conducts night vision goggles-aided landing in Eastern sector

The Indian Air Force (IAF) has achieved a significant milestone by successfully landing an aircraft using night vision goggles (NVG) for the first time...

With Project-75I Submarine Acquisition Facing Delays, MDL Shifts Focus to Indigenous 3,000-ton Project-76 Submarine Design

Source : IgMp Bureau Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL), India's premier shipyard, has announced its intention to develop an entirely indigenous conventional submarine design by...

AMCA 5th Generation Stealth Fighter Updates

AMCA to be integrated with sophisticated indigenous Distributed Aperture System (DAS) that making it a formidable air asset for the Indian Air Force

Source : IgMp Bureau India’s Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) is on the brink of a revolutionary transformation with the integration of a sophisticated Distributed...

AMCA to incorporate the best features of both 5th and 6th Generation fighters: ADA sources

Source : IgMp Bureau India's strides toward indigenous air dominance receive a substantial boost with the green signal for the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA)...

Most Popular

Recent Comments

Archive Months

Miscellanous

US defense budget: Joe Biden’s meager 1% US defense budget increase buys fewer ships, jets

President Joe Biden's overall U.S. defense and national security budget request released on Monday is just 1% higher than last year, forcing a slowdown...

Syria says an Israeli strike has hit a Damascus residential area

Israeli strikes hit a neighbourhood of the Syrian capital on Wednesday morning, Syrian state TV said, and other media reported casualties. State TV reported...

The US to launch West Asia Quad with India, Israel and UAE dubbed as ‘I2U2’ during Biden’s upcoming visit to Gulf

Source : Indo-Asian News Service (IANS)Representative ImageWashington: The US has said it will launch a new four-nation dialogue with India, Israel and the United Arab...
Visits
error: Content is protected !!